CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Friday, April 10, 2009

Thanks For The Memories

Apparently I have been feeling a little nostalgic after recently reconnecting with friends from elementary and high school on Facebook.

Here are some of the things that put a smile on my face when I am doing some old-fashioned remembering:



*Riding our awesome Huffy bikes with banana seats from our house on 71st Street to the U-Totem store to get a small brown paper bag full of penny candy.
(That was back when penny candy was actually a penny!)
I'm sure our mom loved this because we were gone for hours.
U-Totem was about a 2 1/2 mile trip one way.

*I remember playing kick-the-can, red rover red rover, hide-and-seek,
and baseball with all of the neighborhood kids.
No one was ever left out,
and no one was ever told that they couldn't play.
I think we lost count on how many times my parents had to replace
our front window from us playing ball in our front yard.

*Birthday parties at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor:
jawbreakers and candy dots.

*Being excited when we got the new game system - ATARI!!
Pong, Asteroids, and Pac-Man rocked.


*Getting a soft-serve ice cream cone from Smitty's when my mom was
finished with the grocery shopping.

*Actually wanting to buy the school lunch.

*Waiting to hear the music from the ice cream truck to come
down the street on a hot Arizona summer day.

*Never wanting to get up early to get ready for school or to do chores,
but always up at the crack of dawn on Saturday morning for cartoons.

*Some of my favorite shows included:
Huckleberry Hound, Dudley Do Right, Tom & Jerry, The Electric Company,
Sesame Street, The Muppets, The Carol Burnett Show, Mickey Mouse Club,
School House Rock, After School Specials, and
H.R. PufNStuf & Witchie Poo.
Do any of these sound familiar?

*Sleepovers with friends on the trampoline in our back yard.

*Ice Blocking.

*Lite Brites and Easy Bake Ovens.

*Never having to wear a seat belt.

*My dad letting us sit on his lap and steer the car down our street on the way home.

*I'm sure there are plenty of others that I will be able to remember at some other time. Hopefully I can just remember to write them down so I don't forget again.

But for now .... to my friends and family .....
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Marla...this list could of been mine...are we the same age??? I remember with great fondness all of you list. Amen to playing with the neighborhood and never leaving anyone out...U-Totem was a block from our house (University & Hunt)....loved Saturday mornings, I would add Groovie Ghoulies, Scooby Doo & Wallace and Ladmo...I could keep going, but I won't...now I don't feel SO much older than you!

Rags 2 Richards said...

I can't believe I left out Wallace & Ladmo. I am still upset to this day that I never won a Ladmo bag.

Supercool Hotmama said...

I am totally grinning over those sleepovers on the trampoline! Eating lemons until the enamel on our teeth was like powder. {{Pucker}}